Saturday, September 27, 2008

Why are we in so much debt?

I'm watching our government trying to come up with a 700 billion dollar bail out plan in amazement. I know I'm not the smartest economist... but what would happen if they gave every working US citizen 21 years old and over 1 Million dollars. I would think our economy would really boom. We could pay off our mortgages, so the mortgage companies would be good. We could invest in our retirement plans, so our stock market would go way up. We could invest in new business, so we could create new employment opportunities. And most importantly, if the population was 300 million multiplied by 1M...wouldn't that be a lot cheaper? Why should we give more money to corporate america that mismanaged it to begin with? Stupid.
What I could do with a miliion dollars! What could you do with a million dollars that would boost the economy, create jobs, reduce debt?

Suzy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like a million dollars.

I agree with you that the country has overspent, and probably continues to in programs that should have been eliminated a long time ago.

However, I also feel that many Americans have overspent and their actions have been as much a part of the downward spiral as anything.

Everyones less than conservative actions over the past decade have done this and it's going to take a big adjustment to get us back on track. Just think about how many strip malls are propped up by nail maintenance, cell phones and expensive coffee products - did we have any of this before 1990?

I don't think there is a quick fix, but if someone wants to give me $1 million, I'll take it!